Kickstart 2022 Grey Cup Festival with Hometown Favourite Colin James
The Saskatchewan Roughriders and the 2022 Grey Cup Festival Volunteer Host Organizing Committee are thrilled to announce that eight-time Juno Award-winning artist Colin James will headline the free, open-to-all-ages SiriusXM Kickoff Party. The performance will start this year’s festival in Regina with a bang on Wednesday, Nov. 16 in the International Trade Centre at REAL District.
“From the Saskatchewan prairies to sharing the stage with the greatest and most influential guitarists of all time, Colin James is the perfect choice to open up the Grey Cup Festival in his hometown province,” said Roughriders President and Grey Cup Festival co-chair Craig Reynolds. “We are thankful to SiriusXM for helping us host our Kickoff Party which will be a great way to start the week of festivities.”
The festival will take place from November 15 to 20, 2022, most of which will span across REAL District’s indoor spaces, as well as the NexGen Energy Street Festival taking place across the REAL District grounds and in Confederation Park. It includes events for families, football fanatics and anyone who is looking to experience the camaraderie of fans from across the nation celebrating together. In addition to the Sirius XM Kick-Off Party, other events officially announced today include:
- Youth Rally, presented by Cameco – This high-energy, motivational rally will bring more than 1,500 Grade 7 and 8 Saskatoon and Northern Saskatchewan students together. Indigenous entertainment, inspirational messages from athletes and community leaders, and an appearance by the Grey Cup will leave a lasting impression. Tuesday, Nov. 15, from 1 to 2:30 p.m. (Free event, by invitation only – all tickets have now been allocated.)
- Pancake Breakfast, presented by Cameco – Enjoy free pancakes, comments from dignitaries and Indigenous entertainment to kick off the 2022 Grey Cup Festival in Saskatoon. This free, all-ages gathering takes place Wednesday, Nov. 16 from 7:30 to 9:00 a.m. at Prairieland Park. Capacity is limited to 500 people, who must register for free tickets in advance.
- Gainer’s Heartland, presented by Tourism Saskatchewan – This indoor space will transport visitors to the heart of Saskatchewan with the opportunity to explore our Indigenous roots. In partnership with Wanuskewin Heritage Park, this family-friendly space, meant for some of our littlest CFL fans, will also be THE place to capture a 2022 Grey Cup Festival photo and a free Grey Cup scarf, courtesy of Tourism Saskatchewan. Open Thursday, Nov. 17 to Saturday, Nov. 19, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Cheer Extravaganza – This high-energy, family-friendly event will hype your excitement on Saturday, Nov. 19 from 1 to 3 p.m., with everyone’s favourite CFL cheer and dance teams and performances from some amazing local groups. Tickets are free for youth 14 and under.
- Huddle in the Heartland, presented by Sask Lotteries – Youth ages 5 to 12 will learn and grow football skills through interactive programming at this free event taking place Thursday, Nov. 17 to Saturday, Nov. 19 from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- CFL Commissioner State of the League Address – Commissioner Ambrosie will provide an update on the direction of the league and take questions from fans in the audience on Friday, Nov. 18 at 10 a.m.
- Capital Auto Outdoor Tailgate – With live entertainment and free entry for Grey Cup ticket holders, this traditional outdoor tailgate party takes place on Sunday, Nov. 20 from noon to 5 p.m.
“Our staff and volunteers have put an incredible amount of work into this action-packed event lineup,” said Reynolds. “We know that Grey Cup isn’t just about the game; it’s about the entire experience, and we’re excited to celebrate in the heartland with fans from around the province and across the country.”